Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Teeball: Minions In The Field



One of the girls on my teeball team attends the school St. Elizabeth.  Every other child her age who attends St. Elizabeth and plays teeball is on the team we played this evening.  My player is not on that team because, allegedly, she is a behavior problem and the coach did not want her on the team.  That is just wrong on so many levels.  First, how does the league permit a coach to be so cruel?  I have been that girl.  I know exactly how it feels to be left out (although for me it never took place on a baseball or softball field), to be told I’m not wanted and it feels awful.  The league should not permit a coach to cause that kind of emotional pain to one of the players.  I understand a coach wanting a team with all players from his son’s or daughter’s school but then the league should require that he take everyone from that school.  Second, the coach sends his kid to a Catholic school so the kid can get a religious education.  What would Jesus say about his decision to reject a fellow classmate?  I seriously doubt Jesus would be on board with it.  He was far more compassionate than that. Considering the anger, frustration and rejection my player must feel, I was not at all surprised that she did not show up at the game this evening.  Seriously, she is six years old.  Do you have any idea how difficult it would have been to face an entire field of players who want nothing to do with you?  For an adult that could be a traumatic experience, for a child it would be devastating.  The coach was wrong to refuse the girl and the league should never have permitted it, especially when the league proclaims to put an emphasis on fun.  I’m sorry, but it’s kind of difficult to have fun when you are hurting inside.  As for whether the girl is a behavior problem or not I can’t really say because I have not witnessed any behavior from her that is drastically out of the ordinary for a six year old.  

            Anyway, I was very proud of my son today.  This was probably the best game he has played thus far.  Could it be that he is developing an interest in the sport?  Is he just starting to get a better understanding of what he is supposed to do? Or is it simply that he did well because the moon is nearly full?  Whatever the reason he played like he wanted to be there and that alone is a huge improvement.  When we took the field in the first inning he requested to play the pitcher’s position.  Of course he wasn’t going to pitch - that’s what the tee is there for - but it is a pretty prominent position, one that usually gets quite a bit of action.  I was happy he wanted a position that would keep him busy and I granted his request.  As I expected, several balls where hit to him and each time a ball came near him he charged it with enthusiasm, picked it up in his glove , grabbed it with his bare hand, brought his arm back and then thought really long and really hard about what to do next.  As I screamed to him to throw it to first, the ball hovered near his neck – he actually resembled a shot-put thrower more than a baseball player – for a count of three or four before he finally took a giant step and threw.  Each time the player was long since safe on first, but I was thrilled that my son was actually playing the game.  One of the balls was hit fairly hard – by teeball standards – and my son did not hesitate to get in front of it.  Granted he stopped the ball with his body and not the glove, but he got his body in front of it just like I taught him.  He then picked it up and eventually threw it.  Near the end of the inning, when my son fielded a grounder, instead of following my directive and throwing to first he threw home.  When I asked him why he didn’t listen he answered, “I threw where the runner was going.”  Okay, that made sense and in real baseball it would have been the proper play, so I couldn’t be too upset that he didn’t listen.  Maybe a baseball instinct, or two, is starting to kick in.

In one of the later innings, when my son was playing second base, a ball was hit to center field.  My son and two other players charged after it and all three of them collided with a base runner from the other team.  Somehow my son managed to get to the ball first.  He picked it up, ran back to his position and then threw it to first which, considering the strength of his arm, was probably not such a bad decision.  Another time, while at second, he and his friend dove for a ball that landed in between them.  My son managed to pick up the ball first, and then his friend, momentarily forgetting that he was playing teeball and not basketball, started to wave his hands up and down to prevent my son from throwing.   If it hadn’t been so frustrating it would have been comical.

            At one point in the game, while my team was in the field, I suddenly heard several loud voices chanting, “Bee-doo, bee-doo, bee-doo, bee-doo.”  (The minion chant from Despicable Me.)  Would anyone like to guess whose voice was chanting the loudest?  If you guessed my son, you are absolutely correct.  He and his new friend on the team were definitely leading that little aside.  And it continued periodically throughout the game. But they were having fun and still managing to pay attention so I did not stop them.

            My son still needs practice batting but he is getting better.  The second time he was up to bat he hit the ball and knocked down the tee.  Instead of running right away as I told him to do, he paused to fix the tee and then took off for first.  The fact that he still got to the base before the ball should give you some indication of how slowly things move on the field.  But more than he needs to practice hitting, he needs to practice running.  Halfway between bases he will often slow down to a walk or stop altogether.  However, I suppose when there is no fear of being called out there really is no urgency to get to the next base. 

            The game so totally exhausted my little man that during the drive home he yawned deeply and then fell into a deep sleep. It’s a good thing he has swimming in the morning since a bath was not happening this evening.  



No comments:

Post a Comment