Friday, May 23, 2014

Playground



A couple of months ago, I happened to take a picture at a local playground that my photographer mother-in-law really liked.  In fact, she thought I did such a good job taking and processing the photo that she suggested I do an entire playground series.  At the time, I honestly didn’t think a playground series would be terribly interesting.  I mean, it’s a playground.  What could be fascinating about a heap of metal and plastic?  The answer, it turns out, is lots.

            After all the snow from this very wet and cold winter finally melted my four year old son started clamoring to go to the playground – everyday.  Like all children, my son loves to climb, swing and slide.  He can spend hours at the playground, always finding something new and interesting to keep him occupied, happy and excited.  Then one day I decided to bring my camera – something to stimulate me the way the slides stimulate my son - and instead of focusing on my son, I focused on the playground.   Instead of just playing with my son or watching him interact with his friends, I concentrated on my surroundings.  I climbed ladders, stood on top of slides, poked my head in holes and looked at the shadows.  Suddenly, the playground was transformed and I was having as much fun as my son. 

            Now, whenever we go to a different playground I am sure to bring my camera with me.  Sometimes I wonder what the other mothers think as I aim my camera at a reflection in a puddle, an empty bench, a bland pole or the sky but what they think doesn’t really matter. I’m having fun turning the playgrounds upside down and exploring them from angles I never even contemplated on previous trips to countless playgrounds.  Playgrounds are not all the same, they all have their little hidden treasures and mysteries and all you need to uncover them is your imagination and a willingness to act like a child, something I have never struggled to embrace.

            Sometimes I now wonder, if our civilization were somehow wiped out completely and an alien civilization stumbled upon our playgrounds, what would they make of them?  What sort of picture would they depict of us based on our playgrounds?  What would our playgrounds tell them about us as a people?  




 









No comments:

Post a Comment