Sunday, August 24, 2014

Disney World: The Walking Stuffed Animals



            Four is a special age, the perfect age, it seems, to visit Walt Disney World. No doubt people of all ages have fallen in love with Disney.  It doesn’t matter how old you are when you first go, you are certain to experience the splendor, the magic that is Disney. But at four, one is still defined by their innocence.  At four, one believes in magic, one believes that cartoons are real and that the characters within those cartoons really exist.  The line between fact and fantasy is blurred, practically non-existent.  Just as easily as a four-year-old believes in Santa, he can believe that Mickey Mouse is real person, that Goofy can be his friend and that Doc McStuffins wants nothing more than to make his acquaintance.  Yes, four is the ideal age and thanks to my son’s grandparents he got to experience the magic this summer.

            It was my mother who initially understood, much more than I, the importance of my son meeting the Disney characters.  I was older – ten – when I first went to Disney, and by then, already well aware that the characters were nothing more than regular people in sweaty suits, some of the magic was lost.  Yes, I enjoyed meeting the occasional character as we walked around, but my trip was not defined by them.  There were other aspects of Disney World that made it special, memorial and a place to which I’d long to return.  I loved the history, the nostalgia of Frontierland. I enjoyed feeling as though I had stepped back in time and for an afternoon could pretend that I did not live in the present.  I also enjoyed Adventureland where my imagination came alive and I could, for a few hours, pretend that I was out and about in the great world living one great adventure after another.  I loved the rides.  Remembering my own first visit, I forgot to factor in the age difference, the fact that my son loves cartoons, and most importantly, the fact that four-year-old doesn’t need to conquer an entire theme park to find happiness.

            Our first day in the Magic Kingdom my parents made reservations for breakfast in the Crystal Palace.  There my son would get to eat with the characters of Winnie-the-Pooh.  He had never been a huge fan of Winnie-the-Pooh, but it didn’t matter.  The moment he walked into the restaurant and saw Winnie-the-Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet and Tigger, his eyes opened wide and a smile stretched broadly across his face, a face glowing with excitement and anticipation.  While we ate, one by one the characters came to our table.  With each visit, my son’s smile grew wider.  He greeted each character with a high five and could not wait to have his picture taken.  A little boy who gets frustrated and annoyed with me for taking too many pictures, could not pose enough with the characters.  And in each picture, his smile remained genuine, never flagging, even as the rest of us took turns jumping into the frame and handing off cameras to take more pictures.

            In the park, he waited on line to see other friends – Donald, Goofy, Daisy and Minnie – and the time on line didn’t upset him.  I think he’d have waited an eternity if necessary, he was that excited to meet every one.  When it was his turn to meet Goofy, his excitement bubbled over because I was wearing a Goofy shirt and he couldn’t wait to point that out to Goofy.  Throughout Disney, every time he came to a souvenir penny machine he asked my Dad for two quarters and a penny. With his pockets jingling with souvenir pennies, he approached Daisy and Minnie. Reaching into his pocket, holding out his hand, he gleefully showed off his prizes.  The characters were always gracious, acting excited to see what he had to show.  And with yet another radient smile, my son would turn to the camera.

            In Epcot, my parents took us to the Garden Grill where my son had the pleasure of meeting Chip and Dale, Pluto and Mickey.  Grandpa loves the chipmunks, so when they came to say hello, he was just as eager and excited to have his picture taken as my son was.  Together the boys – grandpa and grandson – smiled for the cameras.  When the characters first approach the table, they often do so with their arms extended.  Watching other tables, I noticed that children often run into their arms, greeting them with hugs.  Not my son.  Instead, sighting their arms, he would turn his back into their embrace, and while their arms hugged his shoulders, he would press his body into theirs.  In this pose he would smile, look at me, and be happy that I had a camera to record the moment. What I love best about his little encounters with the characters is that he called them “walking stuffed animals,” which I thought a cute and clever way of referring to them.

            Our last character meal was at Hollywood and Vine in Hollywood Studios.  Eating breakfast with Sophia I, Jake, Handy Manny and Doc McStuffins was like eating breakfast in heaven.  My son’s favorite cartoons had come to life just for him and he could not have been more pleased. 

            As much as my son loved the characters, he wanted no part of them if they looked like regular people.  In Epcot, he and his grandmother waited to meet Mulan, but Mulan – to him- was just a woman wearing traditional Chinese clothes.  He did not or could not, identify her with the movie – a movie he likes. Instead of being excited, he acted shy, covering his face with his hands and demanding that I stay with him for the picture.  And when he saw Elsa and Ana in the Mainstreet parade, he expressed not a glimmer of enthusiasm.  They didn’t look right.  Yes, their dresses were identical to the ones in the movie he adores, but their faces were different, wrong, and therefore, nothing too exhilarating.  

            On our final day in Disney, as we were walking through Frontierland, my son saw Chip and Dale.  Even though he had already met them, he wanted to see them again and the thought of standing in the blazing hot sun did not deter him. With sweat forming on his brow and dampening his hair, he and his grandfather once again stood smiling for the cameras.          

After dinner that last night, before heading back to the hotel, we made one last character stop to see Mickey in his studio on Mainstreet.  Again, the line did not bother my son, he waited patiently, knowing the reward would far outweigh the tediousness of standing. When we were finally invited into Mickey’s dressing room, and my son heard Mickey speak, his entire face lit up as he turned to his grandmother, “Mickey talks.”  Yes, just when you thought the novelty had to be wearing off, Mickey talked and the experience was fresh, new and exciting once again.  

When I asked my son what he liked most about Disney, he responded with a sparkle in his eyes, “The walking stuffed animals.”







No comments:

Post a Comment