Monday, July 21, 2014

Long Swim, Little Man



I’ve always loved the beach.  As far back as I can remember, summer and beach are so intertwined that to call one to mind immediately summons the other.  When I was seven, my parents rented a house in Cutchogue, New York.  The beach we had access to that year, Fleet’s Neck, was right on the creek, an inlet, that while not terribly wide, was continuously dredged to ensure it remained deep enough so that boats could pass without fear of getting grounded.  Three steps out into the water and I was well over my head. A constant worry for my mother, whose incessant angst I found completely vexing, at least until I had a child of my own and finally understood that mothers and children are perpetually fated to see things differently.  What is fun to the child, can branch off, in an overly active mother’s imagination, to no less than twelve calamities.  And in my mother’s mind, they played like a video on repeat.  

For a seven year old, I was a good swimmer.  I could tread water for what seemed like ages, and with an energy level that could have powered a small village, I could have spent the day swimming without feeling even slightly tired.  So when my dad dove into the water and decided to swim across the creek, I could not be restrained.  I had to follow.  On some level my dad had to know this.  A challenge was set down in front of me, and not just any challenge, one that looked fun.  When I expressed my desire to swim across, my dad issued just one rule.  I had to stay close to him at all times and I knew, without him having to emphasize it, that if I disobeyed, my creek swimming days would be over – at least until next year.  Every day, my dad and I swan across, and most days we made the trip more than once.  I was only a child, but to me the feat was huge, and it made me feel all grow up.  

My son is now four and I have had to work hard to help him conquer his fear of the water.  Every summer since his birth, I would carry him into the bay and hold him, praying that enough exposure would eventually whittle away his resistance.  After two years of swimming lessons, he started this summer finally feeling comfortable getting his face wet.  And he would happily have run into the water all on his own the moment we arrived at the beach except for his sudden aversion to seaweed.  I’ve no idea what set him off, but he acts towards seaweed the way most people act in regards to red jellyfish.  He sees it and immediately freaks out.  He will not, under any circumstance, even permit one toe to so much as break the surface of the water if a single clump of seaweed might brush up against his skin.  So, we arrive at the beach, he helps his grandfather set up the umbrellas and then he sprints down to the edge of the water where he screams, “Mama, seaweed.” Which translated means, “Mama, do you see all that seaweed clumped together.  Please pick me up and carry me over it.”  Shaking my head and knowing it is useless to try and rationalize with him, I grant his request.  Sometimes I carry him out just a foot or two, where there is less seaweed and gently place him down into the water.  Other times, I pick him up and toss him into the bay, watching him dip down under the surface and then shoot up again.  As long as he doesn’t resurface within ten feet of anything green he’s fine.

This passed Friday, instead of going to the beach in Mattituck where the water is shallow and safe, we went to the beach out in Peconic, a beach that sits on a creek – a beach where it takes but two and a half steps and my son is completely submerged.  Surprisingly, the seaweed did not spook my son.  I hadn’t expected him to so brazenly march into the water, so I wasn’t in the least worried that he might drown, at least not until I looked up from applying sunscreen to realize he was already in his tube and five feet out into the water.  Yanking off my hat and sun glasses, I splashed in after him.  The moment he saw me, he ducked out of the tube, pushed it to me and started swimming in the opposite direction.  I was blown away by this sudden burst of bravado but had I not been completely at home in the water, complete confident in my own abilities, I might have had a moment of panic.  Instead, I stayed next to my son - thrilled by his willingness to swim - until he asked for the tube which I willingly surrendered.

In time, he exchanged his tube for his kick-board, and pointing across the creek to the beach on the other side, he said, “I want to go over there.”  Seeing no reason to object, I quickly acquiesced and set out in an easy side stroke, keeping my eyes poised on him the whole time as I shadowed him to the other side.  He made it - an impressive feat for a child who twelve months earlier viewed the water with an enhanced level of distrust.  

Now, the question presented itself – would he have the desire and endurance to make it back?  To say I had no doubts would be to tell a little lie.  And I wonder, when he said he was ready to go back, did he catch a glimpse of doubt as it flickered across my face.  Perhaps, he did.  And perhaps, that is why after only one kick he quickly discarded the kick-board, intent on making me feel guilty for ever doubting him.  Without any device to cling to for support, and a huge smile on his face, a smile that said, “Look what I can do,” he set out on his journey.  His stroke was a convoluted half doggie paddle, half breast stroke but - hey, there are no bonus points for style - he managed to propel himself forward through the water.  When he got tired, feeling slightly, winded, he rolled onto his back, just like his swimming instructor taught him.  With arms outstretched, parallel to the heavens, and his eyes shut tight against the sun, he floated for a few moments while he caught his breath.  He then rolled back over and continued his swim and he swam right up to the shore line, grinning ear to ear as pride spilled forth from his eyes.  He did it.  He swam the entire width of the creek all by himself and I admit, I was more than a little surprised, extremely impressed and very proud.  I had expected that one day we would swim across the creek together, just like my dad and I used to do, but I never thought it would have happened so soon. He beat me by three years.  


                               Photo taken by Gary Jaeger

No comments:

Post a Comment