Friday, October 4, 2013

Thanks For Your Support



When I first published my novel in kindle format on Amazon it did mostly out of frustration.  I was tired of the continuous stream of rejection letters flowing into both my mailbox and inbox.  Publishers refused to look at my work because I didn’t have an agent and agents refused to look at my work because I had never been published.  I felt like a dog chasing my tail.  How could I force someone to look at me when it seemed apparent that no one cared to bother with an unknown.  

I didn’t tell anyone my plans to publish, afraid that if I did so, whoever I told would talk me out of it.  As fragile as my ego is, I knew it wouldn’t take much to convince me that self publishing would be a foolish mistake.  Living in this world of social media, I was able to announce the publication of my book in such a way that all my friends could have access to the information at once.  I’m sure it’s no surprise to anyone that I first declared myself an author on facebook.  I expected my friend to like my new page just because they were being polite, ignore me altogether or criticize my inability to find a traditional publisher.  Yes, I’m sure some people liked my page out of reflex because they got a notification telling them to do so.  Others have ignored me.  And I am sure that somewhere someone is talking about me where I can’t hear them and saying things that would make me feel about the size of an insect.  But those are the things I refuse to focus on.  What has truly touched me is how many of my friends have shared my link on their own timelines, inviting their friends to like my page and buy my book.  I am even more blown away by how many of my friends have not only purchased the novel but have taken the time to read it.  

 The great thing about having such low expectations is that it is nearly impossible to be disappointed by the end result.  I didn’t think anyone would buy my book but people have.  I’m not even close to being able to think of myself as a career author but I’ve made a step in the right direction.  I feared that my book would be hated, but instead I have received some very favorable reviews.  So I just want to take a moment to say thank you to the people out there who are supporting me.  I greatly appreciate it.  


https://www.facebook.com/ElizabethMarieJaeger

No comments:

Post a Comment